A few weeks ago, many of us participated in an online movement to “mute” our typical content and instead amplify melanated voices and Black-Owned businesses. Although that week has come to an end, I personally found it to be a big wake up call to how I can better use my platform to fight against injustice and promote inclusivity in the wellness industry.
With today being Juneteenth, a celebration I admittedly only learned about recently, I wanted to take this opportunity to highlight a few Black-Owned businesses I recently discovered and fell absolutely in love with.
With the pandemic wreaking havoc on the economy, supporting small businesses is even more crucial. I’m not suggesting that you need to give up shopping from larger stores, but if there’s an option to weave in more purchases from Etsy shops, local businesses and smaller brands, why not do that?
As Mashable shared: “By diverting your purchasing power to more Black-owned businesses, you’re not only helping to strengthen local Black economies — it can also contribute to shrinking the racial wealth gap, foster more job creation and help to hold larger companies accountable in regard to diverse representation.”
Along with actively seeking out small businesses to purchase from, we can also do our part to urge larger retailers to make shelf space for Black-Owned products. The 15 Percent Pledge is a petition to do just that and it’s a petition that I highly recommend checking out, signing and sharing.
About The Black-Owned Brands I’m Sharing
Some of the brands I’ve listed below I have already purchased from and you may have seen them on my Stories. Others are brands that I bookmarked to come back to and buy from later.
I know there are so many incredible roundups out there, but if you’re a fan of my personal style, home decor and wellness suggestions, I hope you’ll end up loving these brands as much as I do.
- Golde: Brooklyn-based wellness brand specializing in superfood-based health and beauty products like face masks and smoothie boosters
- Trade St Jam Co.: Vegan jam, handmade in small batches with minimal added sugar. Try a gift set to test out a few unique flavors (like Strawberry Chipotle Fig and Plum Rose)
- Brooklyn Tea: Tea shop based in Brooklyn that offers a wide range of high quality, organic, and fair trade teas.
- Partake Food: Gluten-free, vegan and allergy-friendly cookies in fun flavors like Birthday Cake and Ginger Snap
- Pipcorn: Non-GMO popcorn snack made from heirloom kernels that create super small bites. They come in a range of flavors like kettle, ghee and cheddar
- Honey Pot: Biodegradable, Cruelty-free, non-toxic and plant-based feminine care products that are made by women, for women.
- PUR Home: Non-toxic and Eco-Friendly Laundry Detergent and Household Cleaners product line made from organic and plant-based ingredients.
- Mented Cosmetics: Vegan, cruelty free, paraben-free, and nontoxic makeup products for women of all skin tones. Their nude lipsticks are one of their specialties, I bought their matte lipstick in Peach Please
- KNC Beauty: Paraben-free, cruelty free products to give your lips and skin a little TLC. Just like their signature all-natural, collagen-infused lip masks
- Briogeo: Texture-specific hair products that are cruelty free and made with clean, ethically sourced ingredients; They also offer a hair quiz to help you find the products that would be right for your hair
- The Lip Bar: Vegan, Cruelty-free beauty brand with a beautiful range of cosmetics designed for all skin tones
- Gilded: Luxurious and beautiful body skincare with the most gorgeous marble dry brushes I’ve ever seen
- Homebody: Non-toxic, colorful bath soaks made with CBD, natural botanicals and superfoods. All of the soaks look so pretty and are designed to reduce stress and relieve sore muscles
- Harlem Candle Company: Beautiful handcrafted candles infused with Harlem history; includes a collection that turns into gorgeous cocktail glasses once the candle is used up
- UnOrthoDoc Candles: Handcrafted candles made with 100% organic soy wax, 100% organic cotton wicks, and phthalate free fragrance oils for a clean, nontoxic burn
- Plant Vessel: Gorgeous small batch ceramics made in Austin, Texas. Their collection includes mugs, planters and jars.
- The Jungalow: The most beautiful array of bohemian style home decor such as colorful rugs, planters, wallpaper, bedding, and more.
- Tal and Bert: Modern cement planters and candle holders that feature the most beautiful raw geode crystals.
- Jane Dottie Vintage: Sustainable, vintage fashion and handmade accessories like these adorable satin scrunchies
- Humans Before Handles: Super cute earrings and headbands, including the Monstera earrings I recently bought. Everything is under $50
- R-KI-TEKT: Modern bohemian accessories, including a variety of amazing leather products like these leather clutches
- Wellthy: Sophisticated jewelry made with conflict-free, recycled precious metals. Love their minimalist look and feel
- Rebecca Allen: three classic shoe styles made in five nude shades, so that all women can find the perfect nude shoe for their skin tone
- The Tiny Tassle: Super colorful tassel accessories, earrings, and clutches! Their products are so perfect for Summer and give all the tropical vibes
- The World ByKwest: Semi-fine and gold jewelry inspired by world travel and created specifically to withstand workouts and an active lifestyle
As a continuation of this blog post, I’ve decided to restart my “Friday Favorites” series on my IG stories. Each week I’ll be sharing more small businesses I’m loving, with a primary focus on minority and women-owned brands.
If you have any favorite brands that you’d like me to feature, please don’t hesitate to reach out!
Leave a Reply